How would you "fix" the playoff?

1,440 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ShoelessCU
ShoelessCU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let me preface this with i don't really think we need to change anything currently but it's fun to discuss options.

During the BCS years I was constantly frustrated by the rankings and how nearly every college football season ended. Almost every year there was a team (or two) that had a grip about not getting a shot at the title. Undefeateds Utah, Auburn and Boise state are all teams i felt had arguments to this at one point or another. When this was happening I was blogging (yes blogging) about my solution. Now, 15 years later my solution still makes the most sense ( to me ) on how to "fix" things.

A true 32 or 16 team playoff would make nearly everyone happy in theory but logistically it's not an option with a 12 game regular season and conf championship game for the power 5.

My proposal:

10 team playoff similar to the NFL's format, top four get a bye (if they played in a conference championship game). Power five winners get automatic bid and 5 at larges. Seeds are determined by rankings. However, winning the conference title could swap a multi loss team with a one loss team to a top seed but both would still make playoff.

First rd playoff games are played at the lowest seeds home stadiums and the semifinals/finals are on neutral fields. All playoff games are played in three consecutive weeks (essentially you would add a week before the current semifinal game already scheduled). All other bowl games are filled the current way for all teams not in the playoff.

Here is how it would look using this year as an example:

Top seeds:
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma (Notre dame doesn't play in a conference championship game therefore they cannot receive a bye rated seed)
4. Ohio state (OSU gets the nod over UGA bc they won their conference)

At large:
5. Notre Dame
6. Georgia
7. Michigan
8. Central Florida
9. Washington
10. Florida

Rd 1: Dec 22
#10 Florida vs #5 ND
#9 Washington vs #6 UGA
#8 UCF vs #7 Michigan

Winners advance to play appropriate seed the following week on natural field. #1 seed plays highest remaining seed etc.

The ONLY team who plays an extra game this season, for this setup, is UGA. Winner gets the trophy and the only argument is who is 9th-10th...

In this setup you can literally play your way in or get a shot by being a quality at-large. The teams lobbying for the final spot this year would be:

UF, LSU, PSU, WSU, UK, & TEXAS... i think that's a better argument than UGA vs OU or OSU imo.

Thoughts? Improvements? Criticisms?
"The only disability in life is a bad attitude"

~ Scott Hamilton
CLEMSON.81.16.18
Confused.... Round 2 has 7 teams. If higher seeds won who would be playing in rd 2? Did your orginal play have top 12 in?

But i think 4 is right. I think 10 teams are too many in. I think you are getting bad matchups. I would be okay with 6 teams. Teams 1 and 2 get a bye. Teams 3-6 play in rd 1 with higher seed getting home field. Rd 1 played 2 weeks after conference championships.
1bama
2Clem
3Dame vsOSU
4OUvsUGA

Most i would go is 8. UCF this year would get in. No bye. Round 1 played at top 4 home fields. Still say play rd 1 2 weeks after con. champs.
Bama vs UCF(welcome to the big league)
Clemson vs Michigan
Dame vs OSU
OU vs UGA
CLEMSON.81.16.18
The debate this year with 8 would be pac12 Washington or UCF or both of those and no Michigan....
Maybe with 8 in all power 5 get a team in and 3 at large. The ones this year going for 3 at large would be. UCF, Michigan, UGA and ND. I say Michigan would be out. Ugh... i don't like it that the conference champ is in. I say highest committee voted team from each con gets in lol. Let the angry debates begin!!!
Bama vs wash
Clemson vs UCF(welcome to the big league now go home)
ND vs OSU
OU vs UGA
ShoelessCU
You're correct it's 12 teams and the matchups are

12 psu vs 5 nd
11 lsu vs 6 osu
10 uf vs 7 uga
9 wash vs 8 ucf

Those winners advance to 2nd rd... and there's an extra game added so the 2nd rd is the 22nd.

My bad

~ Scott Hamilton
ShoelessCU
I suppose you could do 6 teams and do a 1st rd bye for only bama and clemson too, trim the fat a bit

~ Scott Hamilton
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.