BBall schedule

2,836 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ShoelessCU
ShoelessCU
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Glad to see the Tigers are back to their winning ways again! That NCSU loss really stings now... I honestly think that'll end up being our "worst loss" in the ACC at the end of the season.

Looking at the schedule we are currently 13-8 and 3-5 in the ACC. 20 wins in the regular season is what I'm hoping for to keep NCAA tourney dreams alive. That still might not be enough.

GT
VT
@Miami
@Louisville
FSU
BC
@Pitt
UNC
@ND
Syracuse

Are there 7 wins in that bunch? I see 3 probably's, 3 maybes, and the rest doubtfuls...

What do you think?
"The only disability in life is a bad attitude"

~ Scott Hamilton
ej10s
GT - should be a probable
VT - if Justin Anderson is still hurt, we have a chance...if not, nope
@ Miami - I'd put this as a probably
@ Louisville - I'd put this as doubtful UNLESS we come in hot off wins against VT & at Miami
FSU - should've beaten them at their place..so we SHOULD beat them at our place but they're FSU - long & lanky
BC - let Bowman get his points...we should win this one
@ Pitt - handled them with relative ease at our place...should beat them at theirs
UNC - nope
@ ND - they're down this year, but it's always tough playing at ND
Syracuse - after a bad start, we played them tough at their place...if Reed is 100%, we have a chance here

All that being said, I say we go 5-5 in the last 10...and that NC St loss comes back to bite us in the keister (thanks Reed).
ShoelessCU
That's pretty much where I'm at too.

Here's an add-on question...

What record does CBB get canned at the end of this season? Or do you think he's coming back regardless?

~ Scott Hamilton
ej10s
I think he comes back regardless. He's a good coach and has what appears to be a solid recruiting class coming in. It's tough getting hoops players to come to Clemson because we're not a "Blue Blood" school and the 1-and-done option is there. I personally wish hoops would do like baseball does: if you wanna go pro before college, fine...but if you go to college, you stay 3 years.

And a follow-up to my previous comment: VT has Justin ROBINSON out hurt (got his name mixed up with the former outstanding UVa player). He was out last night against Louisville and it cost them. I never like seeing kids hurt, but him being out raises our chances of a W significantly.
ShoelessCU
Man, i hope we can continue this trend vs VT... win on Saturday and everything changes

~ Scott Hamilton
ShoelessCU
I think we are a bubble team currently and now we need to finish strong!

Miami lost at UNC in a game that they had a chance to win late. Maybe UNC will beat them twice and we'll get another quality road win next.

I think @Louisville is a loss but if we can win 2 of the next 3 or all 3 we'll be in the driver's seat for the first time in a long time for the postseason

I hope we can ride this momentum

~ Scott Hamilton
ShoelessCU
well, we won 2 of the first 3... thought maybe we'd beat miami and lose to VT but we still got 2...

what's left:
@Louisville
FSU
BC
@Pitt
UNC
@ND
Syracuse

Based on how we looked the past few weeks, it kinda feels like a Tommy Bowden coached team... we seem to play up to or down to the level of the team and then "are just a few plays away" from winning. Or in the case of this one and NCSU, one play away.

I like CBB but he's not "the guy". Even if we win the 4 or so of the next 7 needed to put us back on the bubble, what happens next year? Rebuild? Hope for the NIT? We aren't turning the corner. We aren't going to compete with even the next set of teams in the ACC much less closing the gap on Duke, UNC etc.

Unless he pulls a miracle, I think we need to part ways this season. Go after someone younger, more connected to the basketball culture of these young kids/recruits.

Just my current $.02

~ Scott Hamilton
ej10s
I can certainly understand that position and at times, I feel the same way. But I try to be realistic when it comes to Clemson hoops. We play in the basketball conference in the country. The NCAA rules on 1-&-done also hurt programs that aren't "elite" like Duke, UK, UNC, KU, etc. I honestly Brownell is a great basketball coach and he's doing a LOT with what he has. Now maybe an issue is the "what he has" part of that statement. How good of a recruiter is he? He's gotten some good transfers in and I think next year's recruiting class is pretty solid. I think he knows his basketball...he has a great defensive mind for sure. Getting GOOD talent to come play basketball at Clemson is always going to be tough with the current NCAA rules and given the history of mostly mediocre results. Not downing your opinion at all...I definitely get it...but just wanted to give another take for why things maybe are the way they are and why we should perhaps be patient (& maybe even appreciative). Have a great weekend and let's get a big W this weekend to get things back on track!! Go Tigers!!!
CLEMSON.81.16.18
Potential for at least 4 losses on the schedule. Louisville FSU UNC and Cuse. If by chance they beat 2 of those teams and not lose more than one of the other games. They could sneak in. But I think they lose 4 or 5 games down the stretch. Yeah I'm not a fan of the inconsistency of CBB teams. Wish Dabos All in / best is the standard would leak into the minds of the bbl team.
ShoelessCU
Kinda don't want to do this with bb anymore... I'd rather start over and try and fix this from the ground up than do another year(s) of this madness

~ Scott Hamilton
Lowell Aydlette
Staff
I think there are plenty of people right there with you. Consistently inconsistent, and with a senior-laden group.
ej10s
Yep...the last 7 days have been brutal. Tough being a Tigers hoops fan with performances like those. I'm not sure what the answer is honestly. I think Brownell is a great coach...but maybe he's not the right fit for Clemson/the ACC?? I don't know. Next year won't be better...losing Reed, Mitchell, Thomas, Skara, etc...not gonna be good. We have some good talent coming in, but they're gonna be wet behind the ears & likely won't bring much/enough to the table next year. It just stinks...I like Brownell...he's a smart coach and he runs a good program. But it's a results-based business...the team has underperformed this year...well, at least the last few weeks.
ShoelessCU
If we don't make a HUGE run (and i mean like another sweet 16 type deal) then he needs to go

I agree that I like the guy and he is a good coach but that's not enough.

~ Scott Hamilton
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.