Let's talk about the season so far...

1,359 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Tigers Rise
Tigers Rise
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Biggest Surprise:

I think the biggest surprise for me is that even given the losses we have had, we continue to find ways to win. Think about the losses we've had recently on defense too. In fairness, this staff has done another great job getting the team ready to go.

Biggest Disappointment:

Conservative play calling once we get a comfortable lead. Sometimes I think they are "feeling" teams out, but man I wish we would just punch them in the face.

Expectations:

I didn't think we could make it to the playoff, so being where we are is awesome. I'm trying to enjoy what I thought would be a relaxing season.

ej10s
Biggest Surprise - for me, it's the defense. I did NOT think they would come back and be as solid as they've been. Even in the FSU game, with our secondary depleted with injuries, they still rose up and played overall a solid game. Without the D being as dominant as it's been, we most certainly aren't sitting where we are.

Biggest Disappointment - TRise has it right...the conservative playcalling (Dabo has done that for YEARS now when we get leads) and too much trust in KB along with lack of developing other QBs (for me, it's HJ). I've read some posts on here that KB is a good passer/has good passing numbers/blah blah. That's BS. Yes Cain dropped a sure TD Saturday, but in his defense, he hadn't had a relatively deep throw land anywhere NEAR him the past few weeks so he was probably caught off guard (and I'm NOT a Cain fan...I think he's lazy and has mailed it in...going to the NFL year...after the game Sat, 1 of my Tiger buddies called and said "welp, I guess Cain is back next year now...and I'm not sure I want him back!!"). Too much trust in KB and not enough handoffs to our VERY solid stable of running backs are my biggest disappointments.

Expectations - I, too, didn't think we'd make the playoff...and still don't think we will. Right now, Miami is better than us...but thank goodness we don't play right now. Hopefully we get healthy over the next couple of weeks, KB skips classes during that time and works solely on hitting the broad side of a barn from 15 yards and beyond, and we trust our RBs more. It will take all of that to beat Miami. I still think we miss the playoffs after losing to Miami, but then get things back together to finish with a good bowl win...all-in-all, a very respectable season.
Superfan
Biggest Surprise - Kelly Bryant in September. Our first month included three match-ups against Top 15 teams. Amazingly, we exited the month of September with a perfect 5 - 0 record. Many so-called experts doubted KB as a successor to Deshaun, and he quickly put those concerns to rest. I would be willing to bet that most Tiger fans, deep down, expected a 4 -1 or even a 3 - 2 record after the first month of play.

Biggest Disappointment - Kelly Bryant in October / November (JK). It's a tie between offensive line play (something we can control) and a slew of injuries (something we can't control). With our four backs and KB we should be able to physically dominate our opponents, even when we get ultra "conservative" in the second half of games. That is winning time, and we should be able to simply "Alabama" teams into submission. After all, look at the defensive line that our guys practice against on a daily basis. No excuses. We have had more than our fair share of injuries this season, losing the starting TE in the off-season and the starting K early in the year. Hopefully all others will be healed soon, as they will be needed to beat the Cocks and Canes.

Expectations - We are CLEMSON, where BEST is the STANDARD. I expect to win another ACC championship, knock off Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl, and face Alabama in Atlanta on January 8, 2018.
Superfan
@ ej10s, I agree 100 % with your assessment of Deon Cain. At the beginning of this season, a mock draft had Deon going 5th overall in the first round to the Jets. That same mock draft now has Deon being drafted in the 3rd round. His lackluster "effort" this season has cost him millions of dollars.
Tigers Rise
Thanks guys!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.