Story Poster
Clemson Football

Lowell's Locks: Week Eight

October 22, 2022

Feel the difference - The MOST DIGITAL CONTENT covering your CLEMSON TIGERS! Avoid clickbait and sites bloated with advertising!  Support a 100% Clemson-owned business.

I scratched and clawed my way to a 3-3 week, staying ten games above the .500 mark. Penn State, unfortunately, did not show up against Michigan for me. Utah won like I expected but couldn’t cover, and Alabama couldn’t keep up with Tennessee. Syracuse, Oklahoma State, and Clemson kept me afloat with covers in their respective games. I’m chasing perfection again and have a good feeling about this week, so let’s go!

Saturday, October 22nd

#9 UCLA at #10 Oregon (-6.5):

While we weren’t looking, Chip Kelly suddenly built an incredibly fun team at UCLA, much like his Oregon teams of old. Not only are they fun, but they’re also tough. They don’t give up much of anything on the ground, and they can pound you to the tune of over 211 yards rushing per game. Oregon has rebounded behind 20th-year senior Bo Nix and has rattled off five straight after getting blown out by Georgia in the opener, but they haven’t seen anything in those five games like what the Bruins are bringing to the table behind a dynamic offense and a good enough defense.

Lowell’s Lock: UCLA covers +6.5

#24 Mississippi State at #6 Alabama (-21):

It’s easy to write this game off as an Alabama bounce-back game, a game in which the angry tide will come out and destroy all opposition. But I believe Alabama has real issues in the secondary after watching them against Texas and Tennessee, and things don’t get easier with Mike Leach and the air raid rolling into town. This is one that isn’t a total blowout, and there are some moments that may make you think the Bulldogs can pull it off, but Bryce Young will pull the Tide away in a closer than the scoreboard indicates game.

Lowell’s Lock: Mississippi State covers +21

#17 Kansas State at #8 TCU (-3.5):

Another classic Big 12 game incoming!! Max Duggan is on absolute fire as the signal caller for TCU as of late, while Kansas State has shown they can win in shootouts or in low-scoring battles. I get the feeling this one will be the former, and it may come down to who has the ball last. Ride the home team.

Lowell’s Lock: TCU covers -3.5

Minnesota at #16 Penn State (-4.5):

Penn State has only played one team this season that can really run the ball, and Michigan did so for an astounding 418 yards. So how will that defense hold up against a Minnesota team averaging over 227 yards per game on the ground? I expect Minnesota to hammer away the same way Michigan did, to a little less success but well enough to keep within striking distance in a low-scoring game. 

Lowell’s Lock: Minnesota covers +4.5

Texas A&M (-3) at South Carolina:

I said it against Kentucky, and it backfired. Despite that, I am saying it again. I don’t think it matters that A&M is without their starting quarterback. The defense has played incredibly well and will set the Aggies up with some short fields off a couple of interceptions from Spencer Rattler, who has thrown more than a few of them this season. The Aggies smother the Gamecocks’ offense and walk out with their ninth straight win in this series.

Lowell’s Lock: Texas A&M covers -3

#14 Syracuse at #5 Clemson (-14):

Syracuse is coming into Death Valley undefeated, and their players have had a lot to say in terms of knocking off the Tigers and ending one of the longest home-winning streaks in ACC history, and taking control of the ACC Atlantic. As good as the Orange have looked at times, they haven’t faced anything like the Tigers and what they bring along the defensive line, nor have they faced anything like what the Death Valley crowd will present to them as their one road game this season has been at UConn. The Tigers got close to having their statement game last week when they went up 34-14 on Florida State in the second half, but they allowed the Seminoles to claw back and make it look tight late. There will be no clawing back this week. The Clemson run game takes over in the second half, and DJ Uiagalelei continues his impressive start. 

Score prediction: 37-20 Tigers

Lowell’s Lock: Clemson covers -14

Lowell’s Locks

Weekly Results Season Results
Week 1 4-2 4-2
Week 2 3-3 7-5
Week 3 3-3 10-8
Week 4 3-3 13-11
Week 5 6-0 19-11
Week 6 4-2 23-13
Week 7 3-3 26-16
Week 8    
Week 9    
Week 10    
Week 11    
Week 12    

Discussion from...

Lowell's Locks: Week Eight

1,115 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Lowell Aydlette
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.