Clemson Softball Players React to Host Site Selection

May 15, 2023

Clemson softball players Alia Logoleo and Caroline Jacobsen were excited to learn that the Tigers had been selected as a host for the 2023 NCAA Softball Tournament. The Tigers will face UNCG, Cal State Fullerton, and Auburn in the double-elimination tournament.

In an interview with the media, the players discussed their excitement for the regional, their hopes for the tournament, and their thoughts on facing familiar opponents.

Q: What was it like sitting there watching all the teams kind of being counted down on the host sites and kind of being the last one?

Alia Logoleo: It took a long time for our nerves to calm down for the last seed. It was just very nerve-wracking. We had no idea, and every time we saw a team that was kind of close to us, we were like, "Oh gosh, is this us? Where are we going? What are we doing?" But when our name popped out, we were just so happy to be at home for another weekend.

Caroline Jacobsen: Yeah, same thing. Obviously, it was pretty nerve-wracking. You never know what's going to happen. Like Coach Rittman said, it's always never a boring show, so you're just ready to see our name. I'm just happy to be at McWhorter for another weekend.

Q: Alia, how do you guys find your hitting stroke again? How can you use this week to find a little bit of thunder in there?

Alia: I think we have to go back to what we were doing in the beginning of the season and what worked for us then. Obviously, we cooled off, but right now everyone's zero-zero, so we've got a lot of time to just work through the kinks and figure things out before our first game this weekend.

Q: Is it kind of a relief to see a team you know, or what is that kind of advantage?

Alia: I mean, I think it definitely helps to have already played them. I mean, we know their pitching, they know our pitching. I'm sure they kind of feel the same way in that sense, but we're just going to take it game by game and be ready to face each one of them.

Q: For Auburn, you guys faced them last year, but having them come back as their pitching has gotten stronger. Um, what do you expect out of them?

Alia: I expect it to be a similar game as last year, a pitcher's duel. They have a lot of strong players on their team, but we do as well, and our defense is going to help us out a lot that game. So I'm ready for us to just get dirty and hopefully score more runs than they do.

Q: What does it mean to be here for regional for you guys in the friendly environment in McWhorter?

Caroline: I think it's always a home field advantage. I mean, like we said before, we're really excited to be able to play in front of our fans another time. I think we're really lucky to be one of the 16 teams that have the opportunity to do that.

Alia: I'm also excited that we have more seating this year, and so I just know it's going to be way louder, way crazier, and I'm excited to see that environment.

The Tigers will open the regional against UNCG on Friday afternoon. The winner of that game will face the winner of the Cal State Fullerton-Auburn game on Saturday. The championship game will be played on Sunday.

The Tigers are excited to be hosting the regional and are confident that they can advance to the Super Regionals. They are also excited to play in front of their home fans and are looking forward to a fun and exciting weekend of softball.

Discussion from...

Clemson Softball Players React to Host Site Selection

2,818 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Staff Reports
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.