Story Poster
Photo by Adam Randall
Clemson Football

Wide Receiver University: It's a 'Prove It' Year for Clemson

August 11, 2024

TAKE ADVANTAGE → Get THREE Months of CST+ for just $1.00

For nearly a decade, the moniker "WRU" was arguably synonymous with Clemson football, a program that produced elite wide receivers like DeAndre Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, Mike Williams, Hunter Renfrow, and Tee Higgins. The playmakers not only captured the attention of the nation at Clemson but also transitioned seamlessly to the NFL, continuing to make headlines on Sundays. However, recent seasons have seen a dip in Clemson's wide receiver production, leading some to question whether the program still deserves its WRU title.

Once feared by defenses across the nation, Clemson’s receiving corps has faced adversity in recent years. Injuries, inconsistency, and the emergence of other programs claiming the WRU mantle, but as the 2024 season approaches, Clemson's wide receivers are determined to resurrect the program's storied reputation.

Sophomore Tyler Brown, who led the team in receptions ( 52), receiving yards (531), and receivers in touchdowns with four as a Freshman All-American in 2023, is candid about the unit's struggles. "Not having that depth and then injuries. We've had some bad, bad luck at the wide receiver position," Brown explained. The Greenville, SC native played in every game last season, despite being hampered by a foot injury that slowed him down in several contests.

Redshirt junior Antonio Williams was the team leader in receptions (56) and receiving yards (604) during his Freshman All-American season in 2022. However, injuries limited the Irmo, SC native to just four games in 2023.

Williams, Brown (who sat out the spring after foot surgery), junior Adam Randall, redshirt junior Troy Stellato, and redshirt sophomore Cole Turner—all have started games and missed time due to injuries but are now healthy and ready to contribute.

Additionally, sophomore Ronan Hanafin, redshirt freshman Noble Johnson and Misun Kelley, and true freshman Bryant Wesco and T.J. Moore make Clemson's receiving corps deeper and more talented than it has been in years.

Wesco, the No. 7 receiver (ESPN) in the 2024 class, and Moore, the No. 4 receiver and five-star recruit, according to 247Sports and On3, have flashed potential throughout fall camp and are expected to make an impact this season.

"They're the real deal. They can absolutely fly," said veteran safety Tyler Venables about the pair. "I can go on and on about how good they really are. And the good news is it doesn't just stop with those two. We’ve got guys everywhere at all four positions that can really do it."

© Ken Ruinard / staff / USA TODAY NETWORK
Clemson wide receiver T.J. Moore (1), left, Misun Kelley (18), and Bryant Wesco Jr. (12) during the Clemson first football August practice in Clemson, S.C. Thursday, August 1, 2024.

In the spring, Randall, who has taken on a leadership role among the group along with Williams, provided each receiver with a T-shirt that read "Wide Receiver U" and, underneath, the words "Prove It."

"Adam is definitely the vocal leader, and he leads by example. I think we have different leadership styles," stated Williams.. "I'm more of the example—just by what I do. He gave us those shirts, and it said ‘Wide Receiver U,’ and then under it, it says ‘Prove It,’ because we haven’t proven it these last couple of years."

For Randall, the gesture was about rekindling a tradition that had inspired him as a young aspiring receiver in Myrtle Beach, SC. "All the receivers had those cool Wide Receiver U shirts when I was a kid, and it was something that I wanted to do but it kind of got discontinued when I got here," he explained. "So, I wanted to bring that element back into the room and instill confidence."

Jerome Randall
Clemson receiver Adam Randall (green backpack) and older brother Austin Randall (R), a second-year defensive back, attended Dabo Swinney’s Camp as a youth.

When asked what he meant by "Prove It," Randall responded, "I'm gonna take it year by year. I just want to prove it this season. So, that's all I meant by proving it—every day. It doesn't matter who won last year or who won last week. You got to go prove it every single week."

With such a drop in production in recent years and no NFL draft picks since Amari Rodgers (3rd Round - Green Bay) and Cornell Powell (5th Round - Kansas City) in 2021, doubters are likely ready to pounce on any mention of a resurrection of what they perceive to be a dormant brand. 

"So, I love it. I love hearing those doubters," said Williams, who understands that the road to reclaiming WRU status won’t be easy. "We’ve got to prove it. We’ve got to go out there and show it—we can’t really talk about it."

Stellato, who has faced his share of criticism and doubters after participating in only 23 snaps his first two years on campus, understands why t-shirts, a slogan, and words from camp may be met with skepticism from fans—including Tigers fans—and college football analysts.

"People are gonna say what they want to say," he said. "We haven't been where we should be over the last three years. That's a fact. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what anyone has to say. We know in our group what we have to offer. We're gonna get there this year."

Shop at Alumni Hall: Clemson Southern Tide Desmond Stripe Performance Polo

Discussion from...

Wide Receiver University: It's a 'Prove It' Year for Clemson

2,293 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Tyreese Ingram
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.