Story Poster
Photo by © Susan Lloyd/Clemson Sports Talk
Clemson Football

Clemson's Cade Klubnik Embraces Sideline Tech: How iPads are Changing the Game

October 4, 2024

TAKE ADVANTAGE → Get THREE MONTHS of coverage for just $1.

Clemson quarterback Cade Klubnik is one of many college athletes adjusting to a tech-enhanced sideline this season, thanks to the NCAA's approval of in-game tablet usage.

The 2024 season marks the first time in history that teams can access up to 18 active iPads on the sideline, coaching booth, and locker room during games, transforming how players and coaches review film and strategize in real time.

The change, part of a broader initiative that also allows coach-to-player radio communications, is aimed at elevating the performance of student-athletes and teams. ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips emphasized the value of technology in a statement in July: “We are proud of our unparalleled prioritization of technology and the positive impact it will have for our league.”

For Klubnik, the impact of this new technology has been immediate. In Clemson’s early-season games, the junior quarterback has relied on these tablets to quickly review plays, diagnose mistakes, and make adjustments alongside offensive coordinator Garrett Riley.

"I’ve been loving it," Klubnik said. "I love the way that I’m able to immediately come to the sideline and sit with Coach Riley. I can literally sit down, pull up a tablet, watch it with him on the spot, and go play-by-play of what I just did five minutes ago."

Klubnik’s ability to adjust on the fly has been reflected in his stellar performance this season. Through the first four games, he’s completed 73 of 110 passes for 984 yards with 12 touchdowns and just two interceptions. He’s also been a dual-threat on the ground, rushing for 106 yards on 17 carries and adding four touchdowns. His efficient passing and ability to make plays with his legs have been key to Clemson’s offensive success.

The quick access to game film is a significant upgrade from the previous method of relying on verbal feedback from coaches, teammates, and support staff. "Before, you’d come to the sideline and be like, ‘Hey, what’d you see on that one?’ or ask someone if you made the right read," Klubnik explained.

Klubnik sees the technology as especially beneficial for quarterbacks like him, who must process defensive schemes quickly and accurately during games.

“I think that it's probably more helpful for an offense to be able to use them because a defense can only run so many coverages,” he said. “So to be able to kind of pick up on those keys and stuff and kind of have adjustments off of that. I've been loving it.”

“I think that it's probably more helpful for an offense to be able to use them because a defense can only run so many coverages,” he said. “So to be able to kind of pick up on those keys and stuff and kind of have adjustments off of that. I've been loving it.”

For Klubnik and Riley, having the tablets at their disposal has brought a new level of detail to in-game analysis.

"You can’t even do that in practice," Klubnik noted, highlighting how game day has become an interactive film session, helping the team identify breakdowns and improve execution on the fly. "It’s been great for seeing things, understanding where my eyes were wrong, so we can continue to attack. It's been great.”

Clemson has embraced the new technology, using it to sharpen their offensive attack in 2024, where Klubnik’s ability to make quick adjustments has been on full display as the Tigers offense has become one of the most efficient in college football.

As the season progresses, Clemson’s sideline strategy has been transformed into a tech-driven command center, providing real-time insights that could be the difference between winning and losing.

The addition of sideline iPads is just one of the ways the Tigers are adapting to the NCAA’s push to modernize the game, and Klubnik believes it’s just the beginning.

"That's what's so good about the technology that we get to have now—it's real-time, and it's great," he said. "It's really helpful."

Shop at Alumni Hall: Clemson Southern Tide Desmond Stripe Performance Polo

Discussion from...

Clemson's Cade Klubnik Embraces Sideline Tech: How iPads are Changing the Game

506 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by Lawton Swann
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.