ACC Football Kickoff Day 1 - Coastal Division Notes

3,784 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 1bstockdale
1bstockdale
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
We are here in Uptown Charlotte at ACC Media Days as the Coastal division is up first. We will have plenty of news and notes throughout the day so stay tuned to ClemsonSportsTalk.com

Follow us on Twitter
@ClemsonSports
@1BStockdale
Lawton Swann
Staff
Just sat down with Paul Johnson from Georgia Tech, asked about - he told us "I think both leagues are good. I don't think the ACC has to take a back seat to anyone. They've proven that the last four or five years."
Lawton Swann
Staff
Here are some notes from John Swofford's open forum with the media.

We've got tons of great interviews coming up and the vibe speaking with people around here is that Clemson is the top of the mark this year. I guess we shall see.
Lawton Swann
Staff
It's been a pretty quiet day here so far. Larry Fedora said this "Our game is under attack ... I fear that the game will be pushed so far from what we know that we won't recognize it 10 years from now," Fedora said, according to Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic. "And if it does, our country will go down, too."
1bstockdale
Staff
I'm sitting in on the Duke press conference and quarterback Daniel Hall had this to say about playing in Death Valley:
1bstockdale
Staff
Duke coach David Cutcliffe is at the podium and was just asked about what makes him excited the most about coaching at this point in his career.

He said he watches the early morning weight room group work in the summer and the energy he sees there gives him fuel to be his best.
1bstockdale
Staff
Cutcliffe dishes out some advice for young coaches as far as the recruiting process is concerned:

He also had a funny connection between recruits committing and being married:
"Young men will commit 100 percent and parents jump in there, and all of a sudden -- well, I just want to go visit. I'm 100 percent committed. It's no different than if you are engaged to be married and you tell your spouse-to-be that I'm getting married but I want to go on three dates. Let me tell you how long you're going to be engaged. Ten seconds maybe."

Pat Narduzzi, Pitt head coach is coming up here in just a bit.
1bstockdale
Staff
By the way, Duke will visit Clemson the week prior to the South Carolina game on November 24.
09Tiger
Thanks guys! Keep it up.
1bstockdale
Staff
Virginia Tech is now in the room and QB Josh Jackson says the culture has not really changed under Justin Fuente. He says it's always been blue collar and playing hard nose, tough football.
Lawton Swann
Staff
1bstockdale
Staff
A side note from the Pitt press conference with Pat Narduzzi from just a bit ago. He was asked about how things he's learned from past seasons that can help this season and his response was intriguing:

"I think when you think about past seasons and in past games, I think the one thing you do learn every year is who you're playing, you learn about the ACC conference, the talent in this conference, the coaches in this conference, whether it's an offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, special teams. You find out what they like."

"Two years ago, it seemed like the whole division was brand new and you didn't know what you were going to get out of Fuente or Bronco Mendenhall. There's some consistency. There's not been a lot of coaching changes, which is nice. It's nice when you can have a two or three game summer scouting report on someone when you can really say, hey, what are these guys like against us, who are they as personnel-wise. You start to learn a little bit more about your opponents. Those are the biggest things I think you learn as a football coach this time of year."
1bstockdale
Staff
Miami coach Mark Richt said that the turnover chain "created a lot of excitement for the team, fans and around the country."
1bstockdale
Staff
Wrapping Up Day 1 of the ACC Football Kickoff

Miami - Mark Richt
More on the turnover chain:
"I don't even think I touched it until the season was over. That thing is about six pounds. I mean, it is a thick, Cuban link chain with that big U. It is gaudy and it's beautiful. But like I've said all year long, or since the season ended, if we got three turnovers last year, it would have been mocked. It would have been laughed at. But when you get 31 turnovers or whatever it was, maybe there's something to it."

On the level of competition rising in the ACC:
"There's a lot of teams that got good coaches, and I think people are beginning to say, in order to be great in football, we've got to pour resources into all the things that it takes to develop a player, whether it's facilities or strength and conditioning or how you feed them or all those types of things, and you've also got to hire certain coaches and give them the ability to have a salary pool that will allow you to get a good staff that will stick with you without getting out-bidded every time you turn around. And I see that happening throughout the league, and I think we're seeing a lot of really good teams that can beat anybody across America on any given day."

The evolution of social media:
"Well, you just communicate with the guys the way they communicate. If it used to be Facebook, you use Facebook, you use Twitter, Snapchat. Whatever it is within the rules, that's how you communicate with these kids, and that's what they're used to."

"Recruiting hasn't changed much. It's about relationships and it's about trust, and it's about proving to the kid -- where does he fit into your program and how can he become the best he can possibly be in life."

Virginia - Bronco Mendenhall
Chris Peace represented the Cavaliers at today's ACC Kickoff and was asked what Coach Mendenhall has taught him. Mendenhall responded for him with this:

"Chris has taught me the power of work ethic and example. I would consider Chris Peace one of the best practice players in terms of day in and day out work that I've seen and been lucky enough to coach, and it's inspiring. I never have to wonder. He just works and he works and he works, and as you can tell, he doesn't want to say a lot, and I appreciate that.

"We have a saying, a guiding principle in our program, less drama, more work. He is that. I'm lucky to be at Virginia at this time with him, and he's been a huge part of providing a tangible example for me to point to, to the team, and say, this is what we're looking for."

Georgia Tech - Paul Johnson
Competing with Clemson in the "arms race" as far as facilities are concerned:
"You know, every school is different. Georgia Tech and Clemson are set up differently as far as the schools go. We have far less students. Our fan base is probably not as big. We're not going to have as many people at the game. So we're not going to win an arms race with Clemson. But what we've got to do is sell what we have that's positive."

"And if I look, they're our natural rival from the other side. I think we're 5-6 against Clemson. We'd like to be better. So certainly it's not impossible for us to win."

"I think the last time they came to Atlanta, they were ranked in the top 5, and I think we did win. But you know, I think that what Dan and Dabo have done at Clemson is remarkable. They've been really consistent, and the commitment that they have to their football program is certainly visible. You can see that, not only with facilities but with personnel, with whatever you would need."

North Carolina - Larry Fedora
On the quarterback battle:
"Well, we're looking for separation. That's the No. 1 thing, somebody that takes over the team, and then the team becomes theirs. They've got to be able to do it not only on the field but off the field. We obviously -- they've got to be able to run the plays, run the offense, take command of the offense, have a presence out there that all the guys relate to. They have to be an influencer. They've got to be able to influence the guys around them. They've got to be able to raise the level of the players around them. They do that, then they've got to do the same things off the field. And when somebody separates themselves from the others, then we'll make a call."
Lawton Swann
Staff
Day 1 at the ACC Kickoff is a wrap and it was a great opportunity to pick up the vibe around the conference on Clemson. The pecking order in the league really feels like it has shifted and most people talk about Clemson as if they will waltz into the ACC Championship and the college football playoff.

Talk with you all tomorrow.
1bstockdale
Staff
Just now getting to our spot here on Radio Row on the final day of the 2018 ACC Football Kickoff. We will talk to Dabo Swinney, Clelin Ferrell and Mitch Hyatt as have the floor today. Stay tuned for updates.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.