Story Poster
Photo by Twitter: @ClemsonFB
Clemson Football

FINAL: No. 1 Clemson 47, Syracuse 21

October 24, 2020

Feel the difference - The best user experience on mobile devices or personal computers. Avoid clickbait and sites bloated with advertising!  Join us today for just $1 or get a full year for $63.17.

GAME DAY: No. 1 CLEMSON vs. SYRACUSE

Clemson: Roster | Depth Chart Schedule | Twitter
Syracuse: Roster | News | ScheduleTwitter

Game Week Articles

We will be chatting LIVE in this thread during this afternoon’s game. Come hang out with the Clemson Sports Talk staff.

Watch, Listen and Read

Game: 12:00 p.m. Death Valley, Clemson, S.C.
TV: ACC Network
Radio: Fox Sports Radio 1400
Game Week Coverage: Clemson vs. Syracuse Stories

Game Week Must See

CLEMSON FOOTBALL & RECRUITING COVERAGE
Join today for just $1.00

The Storylines

Clemson’s depth on offense was on display as four different players, including punter and emergency quarterback Will Spiers completed at least two passes and 17 different players caught a pass to contribute to the Tigers’ second 500-yard passing day in school history. Clemson’s 17 different players recording a reception were its most in a single-game under Dabo Swinney.

The Tiger defense has been on a tear along with the offense as the group coordinated by Brent Venables held No. 7 Miami to nine first down two weeks ago and last week against Georgia Tech, they held the Jackets to seven first downs, marking Clemson’s first time holding consecutive opponents to single-digit first downs since the Wake Forest and South Carolina games last November. This week, Clemson is attempting to hold a third consecutive opponent to fewer than 10 first downs for the first time since its 1954 season finale and the first two games of 1955.

Spend this afternoon’s game with the CST Staff in this thread!

FINAL: No. 1 Clemson 47, Syracuse 21

10,245 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 1bstockdale
Lawton Swann
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
1bstockdale said:

Nice fake from Trevor Lawrence to get the safety to bite and hit Davis Allen up the seam, just like last week against Georgia Tech. A 17-yard TD strike increases Clemson's lead back out to 24-7 with 2:54 to go for the half. Swinney still won't be too thrilled with the totality of the first half.
Love what Davis Allen has brought this offense. The kid is big, tough, and powerful.
If you are Clemson graduate let me know we have "Grad Tags" for your profile.
1bstockdale
Staff
And Lawrence throws a pick six in what should be two pick sixes for Syracuse. The first one was dropped. I would love to be a fly on the wall for that halftime conversation Swinney is about to have.
CLEMSON.81.16.18
In a game that feels like everything has gone wrong the Tigers lead by 10. Hopefully they get points on this drive.
1bstockdale
Staff
B.T. Potter knocks through the field goal to get the Tigers back out by 13 in a game that just feels weird. Clemson leads 27-14 at the half.
1bstockdale
Staff
Travis Etienne is headed to the locker room and Syracuse starts their second drive of the second half inside their own territory -- shouldn't have fielded that punt there. Special teams haven't been anything to write home about today.
1bstockdale
Staff
Joseph Charleston gets beat on a long ball and Nykeim Johnson from Syracuse on an 83-yard TD bomb in what ends what was a 96-yard drive in 4 plays. We've got a ball game in Death Valley with No. 1 Clemson leading Syracuse 27-21. File that under things I didn't think I'd type today in this chat.
1bstockdale
Staff
Clemson goes 3-and-out. Today is one of those games where you're just off for the Tigers.
Lawton Swann
Staff
HobokenTiger
This is when you wish the stadium was full - let's go Tigers!

Any word on Etienne?
Tigers Rise
What is going on?!?
Lawton Swann
Staff
HobokenTiger said:

This is when you wish the stadium was full - let's go Tigers!

Any word on Etienne?
Nothing yet.
CLEMSON.81.16.18
Cuse is starting to believe they can win. You can see the confidence growing as it should. Come on Tigers! Hold em here!
Lawton Swann
Staff
Tigers Rise said:

What is going on?!?
Honestly, this is just one of those games. The issue Clemson has to overcome now is the feeling of pressure that they rarely get to feel.

It either busts pipes or makes diamonds....we learn that now.
Lawton Swann
Staff
1bstockdale
Staff
Mike Jones and Bryan Bresee forces the fumble and Andrew Booth picks up the fumble and takes in for a touchdown to create distance again between Clemson and Syracuse. Clemson back out in front by two scores up 34-21 with 1:26 in the third quarter.
Lawton Swann
Staff
1bstockdale
Staff
The Clemson medical staff were stretching Travis Etienne out once he returned from the locker room and he promptly comes in for a 9-yard rushing TD to increase Clemson's lead to 40-21 with 13:38 to play in the game.
CLEMSON.81.16.18
That's the offense I know. Nice drive
BradyH
Looks like the sleepwalking is over and the Tigers have finally woken up. Fortunately this is an overmatched Syracuse team that they have had an off day against.

Alot to clean up here with ND just two weeks away.
1bstockdale
Staff
Mike Jones Jr. picked off Rex Culpepper just moments ago and Travis Etienne punches it in on 3rd and goal for his third touchdown of the day and Clemson is pulling away from the Cuse 47-21.
1bstockdale
Staff
You're exactly right, Brady. I think it was important for the Tigers to have a game like this to get their attention to let them know you can't just walk in and think it's going to be an easy out.

Notre Dame plays at 3:30 against Pitt and I'm going to check that one out. ND's offense has had issues of their own and I'll be interested to see how they perform against an active Pitt defense, in particular, their defensive line.
1bstockdale
Staff
Jayln Phillips ends the Syracuse scoring threat and this one looks all but over now as D.J. Uiagalelei has entered the game -- if you'll remember he did not play last week in Atlanta.
Lawton Swann
Staff
1bstockdale
Staff
FINAL from Clemson: Clemson 47, Syracuse, 21

Quick postgame thoughts
- I think we can all collectively agree it was a tale of two halves. Clemson was off in the first half and Syracuse kept it close into the third quarter but it was Andrew Booth's scoop and score which changed the whole ball game and jump started the Tigers.
- While the offense did not look sharp at times today with drops and miscues, they did what they needed to do and still put up 47 (!!!) points and 455 yards of total offense on an off day which is so crazy to think about and won by 26 points.
- Clemson's defense was opportunistic today forcing 4 turnovers all without James Skalski and Tyler Davis. Nolan Turner, Mike Jones Jr. all got in on the interception action and outside of a few plays, like the reverse in the fourth quarter, it was a solid day for Venables' group.

Overall: When you can win by 26 points on an off day and you're not firing on all cylinders, that's a sign of a really, really good football team. However, as Clemson enters November with a trip to South Bend, Indiana looming in two weeks, they can ill afford to make the mistakes they did today and expect to win. I'm sure the film sessions and practice won't be fun this week.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.