Clemson Football

Myles Murphy is his own biggest critic, self-evaluations show 'a lot of things' to improve

October 5, 2022

TAKE ADVANTAGE → Get THREE MONTHS of coverage for just $1.

Clemson defensive end Myles Murphy is an NFL Draft and All-American candidate but got off to a slow start this season. He had no tackles against Georgia Tech and four in the 48-20 win over Louisiana Tech. 

However, Murphy elevated his play in victories over Louisiana Tech, Wake Forest, and N.C. State. In the three games, he accumulated 13 tackles, three sacks, and four tackles for loss.

He shared Defensive Player of the Game honors with defensive tackle Tyler Davis for his four tackle, 1.5 sack performance in the 30-20 win over the Wolfpack. 

Murphy on how he feels about the team after wins over No. 22 Wake Forest and No. 10 N.C. State:

"Well, they were two big tests, from Wake Forest to N.C. State, and two great opponents. Obviously, defensively going against Wake Forest wasn't our best game. Honestly, I'm proud of the way that we responded going into last week against NC State. Dbs [defensive backs] were dialed in. D-linemen were dialed in. Linebackers were doing their thing. And offensively, they've been very consistent."

On where he thinks the defensive line has improved the most:

"We had a lot of chemistry going into the season and now playing different opponents, watching the film, and seeing how we work well with each other when the defense is clearly just on a straight-on rush. I think we were very cohesive and have done really well and gotten a lot better with that from week one. Playing against the run -- just striking at the point of attack, winning the line of scrimmage. I think we've done a better job of that."

On what he saw when watching the film on Boston College:

"I watched a little bit of film on them and very run heavy and a good bit of misdirection, and a very accurate quarterback. I've just started watching film on them. I'm going to keep watching film and I'll know more about them."

On head coach Dabo Swinney using him as an example when talking about guys loafing on film:

"I hear the message, and his intent was to see how I'm gonna respond to that. It is calling me out, so just got to respond and have my film speak for itself."

On what grade he would give himself through five games:

"I guess personally, not too low. But I've always been a hard grader; even for some of my best games, I probably graded myself where so many things could have been so much better. Something can always be improved. I'm always my hardest critic. So I guess going from the first four games that were-- I guess okay, this past game better. Still a lot of things I could have improved on."

On whether facing double teams affected him during the first two games where he had no sacks. 

"Double teams, slide protection, running back, and tight end chips. That's going to come. That's going to come up with every game. And that really comes with game planning and watching film. And I guess knowing how the offensive coordinator is going to think. I'm not one to want to use excuses. Honestly, those are things that I can improve and things that have been on me."

On what it would finally look like to have everyone healthy along the defensive line:

"It would be scary because we would be hitting on all facets of the D-line if everyone comes back healthy. I guess that's the beauty of our D-line. If someone does go down, we have another man that's ready to go in, and it's no drop-off at all. We had a few guys down this past game, and in the film on a few of those sacks, we're literally just rushing three, and we're getting back there in about two and a half seconds. So that's just the beauty of our D-line. So, we have depth, whether it's a D-end or D-tackle. Someone goes down-- we can put someone in."

Discussion from...

Myles Murphy is his own biggest critic, self-evaluations show 'a lot of things' to improve

1,471 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tyreese Ingram
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.