Swinney says spring is the time 'to build the foundation' for 2023 season

March 6, 2023

TAKE ADVANTAGE → Become a CST+ Member for just $1.00

Opening remarks:

"It's always fun to start over and build a new team. This year we’ve got some new people amongst our staff this year. You get 15 days to actually be on the field and try to maximize each one of those days to build a good foundation for this team and what we want to accomplish this year.”

“Getting everybody on the same page with the change offensively, that been fun-- kind of see it come together.”

“I think we’ve got a good group. We’ve got 12 guys that will be coming in this summer to add on. With 15 mid-years, that’s big to get them in here.”

On injuries:

• Beaux Collins will do all the individual work. He will not do any good on good or any contact coming off his shoulder surgery.
  • Brody Conn had both shoulders fixed-- he will be able to punt only this spring.
  • Sheridan Jones wasn’t able to play in the Orange Bowl-- had ab surgery, and will be limited. Hopefully, he will be able to do some individual work as the Tigers go through spring.
  • Ruke Orhorhoro and Payton Page both had their shoulders worked on during the postseason.
  • Walker Parks will be limited after having an ankle issue at the end of the season. They got that fixed, he’s doing really well with his recovery, but will be out this spring.
  • Marcus Tate tore his knee and will be out after surgery, but will work out this spring, with no competitive work. 
  • Adam Randall will not be released until after spring. His knee (not the one he hurt) needed to be cleaned up. He’s out this spring, but he’s doing well.
  • Xavier Thomas will do all the individual work as he continues to come back fully from the insertion of a bigger screw in his foot.
  • Quarterback Paul Tyson had a thumb injury and hopefully, after spring break he will be able to work out this spring.
  • John WIlliams will be limited after having his appendix out.
  • Troy Stellato is still not feeling 100% and Jalyn Phillips had to have ankle surgery after the season.

On seeing the newcomers:

“A few of them I got to see at the bowl-- just kind of where they are. You never really know until you get them on the practice field and start coaching guys. I just want to see them go out and compete. See how they match up. I’m excited about it. I think all the mid-years with the exception of Paul Tyson-- all those guys are ready to go.”

On preparing the guys for the new offense:

“Well, when Chad (Morris) left-- Tony (Elliott) and Jeff (Scott) took over, so it’s been since then since we’ve really had a transition. We’ve been going since the end of January with meetings. We’ve prepared for this practice more than any practice this year, because we’ve installed a lot. When we have to get on the same page as coaches so that everyone is speaking the same language.”

Discussion from...

Swinney says spring is the time 'to build the foundation' for 2023 season

1,667 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Lawton Swann
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.