Story Poster
Photo by © Jamie Rhodes-USA TODAY Sports
Clemson Football

Clemson's Mitch Hyatt will return for his senior season

January 10, 2018

Clemson first-team All-American left tackle Mitch Hyatt has decided to return to the school for his senior year.

In 2015 Hyatt became the first true freshman to start his first game on the offensive line since James Farr in 1980. He was also the first first-year freshman to start the opener at tackle since 1944 when Phil Prince managed the feat.

“I have decided to return to Clemson for my senior year,” said Hyatt.“ I have some unfinished business on the field and I know another year will benefit me.  And, it is very important to me to finish my education.“

The junior from Suwanee, Georgia has been one of the best linemen on what seems to be the only veteran group on Clemson’s team.

“I have decided to return to Clemson for my senior year,” said Hyatt.“ I have some unfinished business on the field and I know another year will benefit me.  And, it is very important to me to finish my education.“

This year Hyatt was the recipient of the ACC Jacobs Blocking Trophy, an honor presented to the top offensive lineman in the ACC as voted on by the league defensive coaches.  He was the first Clemson player to win the honor since 1987.

Hyatt was named a first-team All-American by the Sporting News and ESPN and was a second-team selection by USA Today, the American Football Coaches Association, Associated Press, the Football Writers Association and the Walter Camp Foundation.

He was named first-team All-ACC each of the last two years and next year will have a chance to be the first offensive lineman in Clemson history to be a three-time first-team selection. Hyatt will have a chance to be the first two-time All-American offensive lineman since Stacy Seegars (1992-93).

Hyatt has started 42 games at right tackle over the last three years and played in 43.   The Tigers are 39-4 in those games.

2016: 

• Tied for second on the team with 32.5 knockdown blocks in 994 snaps (14 starts)
  • First-team All-ACC (media)
  • Second-team All-ACC (coaches)
  • Opened strong with a 90 percent effort at Auburn, and played all 81 snaps of the win
  • Posted two knockdowns and 87 percent grade versus Ohio State
  • Punctuated sophomore season with 90 percent grade and three knockdowns in National Championship Game against Alabama.

2015: 

• First-team freshman All-American by Sporting News and USA Today
  • Third-team All-ACC (media, coaches)
  • Second on the team with 37 knockdown blocks in 15 starts (1,049 snaps)
  • Named co-offensive player-of-the-game by the coaches
  • Helped Clemson to 623 yards of total offense at NC State and graded 90 percent against the Wolfpack
  • Earned 93 percent mark on film in playing every snap against Florida State, while earning ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week honors for the first time
  • First first-year freshman to earn ACC Offensive Lineman-of-the-Week honors in school history
  • Graded 88 percent in the Capital One Orange Bowl, where he collected four knockdown blocks against Oklahoma
  • Great performance in the National Championship Game against a talented Alabama defense with three knockdowns and 91 percent grade.

Before Clemson: 

• Played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl
  • First-team All-American by MaxPreps.com, Parade and USA Today as a senior
  • First-team All-American by MaxPreps.com as a junior
  • No. 8 player and No. 2 offensive tackle in the nation by Scout.com
  • No. 22 player and No. 2 offensive tackle in the nation by 247Sports.com (sixth-best signee entering the ACC)
  • No. 16 player and No. 2 offensive tackle in the nation and No. 2 player in Georgia by ESPN
  • No. 16 player and No. 2 offensive tackle in the nation and No. 3 player in Georgia by Rivals.com
Discussion from...

Clemson's Mitch Hyatt will return for his senior season

4,841 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 23bobbyg
cutigerz99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow! Now looking for our Nasty D Line to say "All In" for another season!
23bobbyg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am about to start crying!!! If The Power Rangers come back too....Oh Boy Happy Day!!!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.