Photo by © Ken Ruinard / staff / USA TODAY NETWORK
Clemson Football

Clemson Safety Tyler Venables Embraces Veteran Role

August 13, 2024

Clemson safety Tyler Venables spoke with the media on Friday, August 9, 2024. The senior graduate spent last season as a medical redshirt (hip injury) but appeared in the final two games. 

On if he's had conversations with his father Brent Venables, the head coach at Oklahoma and former Clemson defensive coordinator, about becoming a leader:

"Not so much. I kind of just saw what he would do in situations. And obviously, I'm not a defensive coordinator, so I can't do exactly what he was doing. I can't just make somebody run a lap or something. So you got to find your own ways to lead. I think a lot of it's natural and organic and just what you've seen before you and who are the great leaders that you've seen. A lot of the people who have great leaders in front of them kind of mold themselves after them. They saw what worked. They saw what didn't work. That's kind of what I try to do. Do what I think is right. Do what I think needs to be said, what doesn't need to be said."

On how players are responding to his leadership:

"I think it's been good. I hope they're not smacking their teeth at me saying,  what's Tyler saying? But they haven't done that. So, I try in my leadership to don't ever try to point the finger at anybody. I don't think that's fair. I think we're all on the same level.

"Of course, you got to call people out when they're not accountable, but you got to call people up too. You got to bring people along. We need everybody in this journey. So, why wouldn't I want somebody to be their best and to help us? I think they've responded the right way to my leadership. And I've tried to approach people the right way."

On cherishing the time he has left as a college football player: 

"My first two years were long. My sophomore year, especially, was really rough. And so, as a young player, my head's spinning, not really knowing what to do and kind of just hoping it's over. I remember my freshman year looking at Nolan Turner, who's the fifth year, where I am now. It just happens fast. I have a great appreciation for it because I know I ain't going to take many more snaps. 

"Last year, I didn't get to go to camp. So just having a true appreciation for it and having the right mindset. Coach [Dabo] Swinney does a great job of speaking life into us and being positive and being intentional with the time that we get."

On the difference in Cade this fall from last fall camp:

"I think he's obviously gotten another year. And so with the years in college, gain maturity, and the game slows down for you. But he's a great leader. He's a very natural leader from what I've seen from January to where he is now and people are willing to get behind him. I think that's a really special and needed thing from a quarterback. I have all the confidence in the world behind him."

On what he thinks of freshmen wide receivers Bryant Wesco and T.J. Moore: 

"They're the real deal. They can absolutely fly, and their route running ability, their ability to read defenders, to read coverage is top tier -- their stems, their quickness, their top end speed [and] their hands. I can go on and on about how good they really are. And the good news is our receiving corps doesn't stop with those two. We've got guys everywhere at all four positions who can really do it. Our tight end group is incredible too. [Jake] Briningstool, Josh Sapp, Marcus Dixon, and Olsen [Patt-Henry] can really do it. And so our passing game I'm excited for. one more you guys got it."

Discussion from...

Clemson Safety Tyler Venables Embraces Veteran Role

1,720 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Staff Reports
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.