Story Poster
Photo by ClemsonTigers.com
Clemson Football

Web of Success: T.J. Moore Continues to Grow in Clemson’s Offense

September 13, 2024

TAKE ADVANTAGE → Get THREE Months of CST+ for just $1.00

The lights were bright, the crowd was roaring, and freshman wide receiver T.J. Moore had his breakout moment in Death Valley last Saturday. During Clemson's 66-20 victory over Appalachian State, Moore hauled in his first career touchdown—a 29-yard pass from quarterback Cade Klubnik—on a night that saw him grab three passes for 44 yards.

The 6'3", 200-pound standout from Tampa Catholic High School has been preparing for moments like this for years, thanks to the influence of his father, Terrance Moore Sr., a former all-conference wide receiver at California University of Pennsylvania.

Reflecting on his first touchdown play, Moore described it in detail: “Well, the play call, I had an in-route, which was like 12 yards, and I saw the safety sit, and that made the zone perfect. So, Cade was able to throw it right to where I needed to be. As I caught the ball and scored, it just felt good.”

It was a glimpse of the poise and skill Moore developed under his father's tutelage, starting when he was just nine years old in Key West. The pair spent countless hours perfecting his technique with drills like catching tennis balls, refining his hands to ensure he'd always secure the ball.

“He makes sure that you catch the ball first, no matter if it's one hand, two hands. Preferably two hands, but if it needs to be one hand, one hand,” Moore said. “He'll go right, catch it with my right hand. Tennis ball, left, left hand. He'll make me react to it, all that type of stuff.”

As good as Moore’s evaluations on the recruiting trail were, the transition to Clemson hasn’t just been about learning a new offense—it was about adjusting to the elevated expectations.

“In high school, we weren’t really told to run to the ball every play,” Moore admitted. “Coming into Clemson, it’s a new standard, so I had to learn real quick that after every play, you run to the ball, no matter if you get the ball or not.”

Despite being one of the nation's most highly-touted recruits, Moore has quickly realized that excelling at the collegiate level requires continuous fine-tuning of his game.

“That’s something me and Coach (Tyler) Grisham talk about—my motor,” Moore said, referring to Clemson’s wide receivers coach. “Sometimes, I need to work on when I need to actually accelerate rather than being smooth. On some routes, I need to be faster than being slower. That’s something I’m working on.”

Along with guidance from his father, Moore has soaked up advice from NFL stars like wide receiver Stefon Diggs and veteran quarterback Tyrod Taylor. Diggs, known for his sharp football IQ, told him to “always keep a level head and not forget who you are as a player,” which struck a chord with Moore as he adjusts to the speed of the college game. Taylor’s advice? “The difference between college and the NFL at the receiver position is the space you have to make plays—it’s much smaller.”

Moore’s hard work and dedication to improving his craft are paying off, and he is looking forward to building on his performance from last weekend as NC State arrives in Death Valley next Saturday.

The freshman has also maintained a sense of humor and a child-like lightheartedness while sharing his affinity for Spider-Man with the assembled media, as he described his ability to make difficult catches.

“Like, if the ball's coming at me, I'm trying to make the play. As long as it's in my reach, I'm going to try to get it. People tell me when I catch the ball, it sticks to me like Spider-Man, so that’s always been something I thought was funny,” Moore laughed as he shared a story about his favorite Superhero. “I just love Spider-Man. I got plenty of pictures of me wearing Spider-Man stuff.”

If Moore’s debut is any indication, the former five-star prospect is primed to become a key figure in Clemson’s offense down the road. With the support of his father and family—plus his own drive and the wisdom gained from NFL mentors—Moore’s web of success at Clemson is just starting to take shape.

Shop at Alumni Hall: Clemson Nike Etienne Jr. #9 Replica Jersey

Discussion from...

Web of Success: T.J. Moore Continues to Grow in Clemson’s Offense

707 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Lawton Swann
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.