Story Poster
Photo by Ken Ruinard-USA TODAY Sports
Clemson Football

Clemson Prepares for Freshman QB, Concepcion in Critical ACC Clash

September 21, 2024

TAKE ADVANTAGE → Get THREE MONTHS of coverage for just $1.

On Saturday, No. 21 Clemson (1-1) will host N.C. State (2-1) in a pivotal ACC showdown, with the Tigers looking for redemption after last year’s 24-17 loss in Raleigh. The 2023 defeat came largely at the hands of the Wolfpack’s dynamic freshman receiver, Kevin Concepcion, and 2023 Butkus Award winner Payton Wilson, whose game-changing plays left Clemson reeling.

Last year, Concepcion was the star of the game, with touchdown catches of nine and 72 yards while leading the Wolfpack in rushing with a 50-yard burst on one of his two carries. His explosive performance fueled N.C. State’s victory and Clemson’s defense is well aware of the threat he poses as they prepare for the rematch.

Defensive coordinator Wes Goodwin reflected on last year's matchup on Tuesday, emphasizing that it came down to a few big plays, particularly Concepcion's. "The game last year came down to those two big plays, the 50-yard run. I think we gave up 62 or 64 yards rushing against them, and fifty was on that one play. And then, obviously, they called the slant route. So, our techniques got to be better. I could help them better call-wise in that situation. But he's the key to their offense.”

Concepcion, who led the Wolfpack in touchdowns (10), receptions (71), and was their second-leading rusher in 2023, continues to be a focal point for N.C. State’s offense this season. Through three games, he has 22 receptions for 199 yards and 3 touchdowns.

“He’s a dynamic player, so they’re gonna make sure he touches the ball," said head coach Dabo Swinney on Tuesday. "They move him around. So, it’s hard to just really isolate on him. You have to know where he is every single play."

"And that doesn't mean they don't have other good players. They do," he added. "The tight end's a good player. They got a couple of big receivers. Dakari is a good player, a kid that we liked here, and he's a big, strong receiver. They brought in Noah." 

Still, Concepcion remains the centerpiece of the offense, but the Wolfpack added reinforcements through the transfer portal bringing in 6’2" Noah Rogers (Ohio State), 6’3" Wesley Grimes (Wake Forest), and athletic tight end Justin Jolly (UConn), who is second on the team with 11 catches for 158 yards. Former Clemson receiver Dakari Collins has also chipped in with seven catches for 78 yards in his second year with N.C. State.

While Clemson’s defense is focused on Concepcion, they also face a new challenge at quarterback. With starting quarterback Grayson McCall, a transfer from Coastal Carolina, sidelined due to injury, true freshman C.J. Bailey will make his first career start. Bailey stepped in last week to lead the Wolfpack to a 30-20 comeback win over Louisiana Tech, throwing for 156 yards and rushing for 27 yards and a touchdown.

Swinney was impressed by Bailey’s poise. “He really sparked them. I watched every play, just live, and I thought he just got better as the game went [on], and you could tell there was a lot of energy that he brought into it,” Swinney said. "I didn’t see any fear in him at all."

Despite the presence of Bailey, Concepcion, and the other perimeter weapons, Swinney emphasized the importance of the Wolfpack's running game, stating that it’s the foundation of their offensive attack. "They got good dudes, but it all starts with the run game for them," he noted. "They're gonna challenge you from a physical standpoint in the run game. They’re gonna turn around and hand that ball off to those big ole backs. They are good backs."

Jordan Waters, a transfer from Duke who led the Blue Devils with 819 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns last season, is the team's leader in rushing yards with 156 and two touchdowns. N.C. State’s ground game, however, has been underwhelming overall, with only 131 yards per game.

"I promise you this, we've got to be able to stop the run against NC State," responded Swinney when asked about the No. 94 rushing offense in the country. "If you can't stop the run against these guys, you're in for a long day because, again, everything comes through that. But when it's all said and done, this is a team that I think will be able to run the football. Hopefully, not this week."

Kickoff: Saturday 9/21 at 12:00 p.m. ET on ABC/ESPN +

Shop at Alumni Hall: Clemson Champion Alumni Tee

Discussion from...

Clemson Prepares for Freshman QB, Concepcion in Critical ACC Clash

333 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Tyreese Ingram
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.