Story Poster
Photo by Ken Ruinard-Imagn Images
Clemson Football

Breakout Start: How Cade Klubnik is Revitalizing Clemson’s Offense in 2024

September 24, 2024

TAKE ADVANTAGE → Get THREE MONTHS of coverage for just $1.

After a 2023 season that left Cade Klubnik ranked 69th nationally in QBR, the Clemson quarterback has turned heads with back-to-back electrifying performances. In a 66-20 rout of Appalachian State, followed by a 59-35 thrashing of NC State, Klubnik showcased what could be a season-defining shift in his game.

Not only did he pass for a combined 587 yards and 8 touchdowns over the two games, but his efficiency and poise were also unmatched—earning a near-perfect 99 QBR in both outings, a feat never accomplished by any quarterback in college football since the stat began in 2004.

Additionally, Klubnik’s play has made Garrett Riley look like an even better play-caller on Saturdays—perhaps because the Clemson offensive coordinator feels more confident in his developing quarterback.

"It's all about what your quarterback can do and where he is. He's still a young player that's just developing—and blossoming right before our eyes here."
- Dabo Swinney on Cade Klubnik

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney addressed Klubnik’s evolution during his Sunday teleconference, highlighting the immense growth he’s seen in the sophomore signal-caller this season.

"It's all about what your quarterback can do and where he is. He's still a young player that's just developing—and blossoming right before our eyes here," Swinney said. "I mean, he's just doing a great job. He's got a great command of everything."

Klubnik’s growth has been evident, both statistically and in his on-field demeanor—even in an opening-game loss to No. 1 Georgia, the Tigers' quarterback showed signs of growth and maturity—specifically as the game slipped through the Tigers’ fingers.

After a somewhat inconsistent sophomore campaign, Klubnik now appears fully in control of the Tigers' offense, making confident throws and effective reads. Swinney emphasized that this transformation has been a process, one that began long before the 2024 season kicked off.

"We saw a lot of this in the spring, as far as how he attacked the offseason and things that he needed to do to improve. We saw it all summer and saw it in camp and, honestly, saw a lot of good things in the first game," Swinney added. "He's still left a little out there. The game has slowed down for him. Last year, as I've said many times, the game sped him up. He's kind of slowing the game down, and that comes with experience."

While his stats are catching the attention of fans and analysts alike, Klubnik also demonstrated his athleticism, rushing for three touchdowns, including a 55-yard run against NC State that opened the scoring and set the tone for the game.

© Susan Lloyd/Clemson Sports Talk
Cade Klubnik warms up before Clemson’s game against NC State.

While Klubnik’s physical skills have been on display, Swinney believes the quarterback’s confidence is what has truly made the difference. Reflecting on last season’s finish, when Klubnik led Clemson to five consecutive wins and capped the year with a thrilling two-minute drive to win their bowl game matchup with Kentucky, Swinney pointed to that stretch as the catalyst for his quarterback's current form.

"How he finished last year. That's really it," Swinney said. "Five straight wins to finish the year, a two-minute drive to win the bowl game. I think that really just fueled his offseason."

Swinney went on to describe Klubnik's offseason preparation, a phase he believes laid the groundwork for the explosive performances Clemson fans are now witnessing.

"I think he had a ton of confidence in camp. It was the most explosive camp we've had since 2019," Swinney noted. "But I would say if there's one thing, just how he finished last year as a first-year starter. I think that really fueled his growth."

With an experienced offensive line and a rejuvenated supporting cast, Klubnik is now leading a Clemson offense that feels reminiscent of the program's national championship years. His maturity, as Swinney explained, is playing a crucial role in not only his own success but also in lifting the entire team.

"They're playing well up front, and this is an experienced group. So they've been through some battles together. I think they've really given Cade a lot of confidence, but it all starts with him."

With No. 15 Clemson sitting at 2-1 and Klubnik putting together a stretch of performances that could shape the season, the quarterback's early growth suggests that this Tigers team has plenty left to achieve. As the season progresses, all eyes will be on Klubnik to see if he can continue his torrid start and lead Clemson back to national prominence.

Shop at Alumni Hall: Clemson Champion Alumni Tee

Discussion from...

Breakout Start: How Cade Klubnik is Revitalizing Clemson’s Offense in 2024

309 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Lawton Swann
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.