Story Poster
Clemson Football

FINAL: No. 1 LSU 42, No. 3 Clemson 25

January 13, 2020

Feel the difference - The best user experience on mobile devices or personal computers. Avoid clickbait and sites bloated with advertising!  Join us today for just $1 or get a full year for $63.17.

Register for a FREE ACCOUNT today and you are entered to win a LIMITED EDITION Clemson football. ← Learn More

GAME DAY: No. 3 CLEMSON vs No. 1 LSU

Clemson: Roster | Depth Chart Schedule | Twitter
LSU: Roster | News |  Twitter | Game Notes

Game Week Articles

We will be chatting LIVE in this thread during today’s game. Come hang out with the Clemson Sports Talk staff.

Watch, Listen and Read

Game: 8:00 p.m. Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, La.
TV: ESPN
Radio: Fox Sports Radio 1400
Game Week Coverage: Clemson vs. LSU Stories

Game Week Must See

CLEMSON FOOTBALL & RECRUITING COVERAGE
Join today for just $1.00

The Storylines

The Clemson Tigers will attempt to earn their second straight title and their third championship in four years on Monday, Jan. 13, when they face the LSU Tigers in the College Football Playoff National Championship. Kickoff at Mercedes-Benz Superdome is set for 8 p.m. ET.

Another Clemson championship would be Clemson's fourth football title in school history, joining the 1981, 2016 and 2018 squads.

Clemson enters the contest coming off of a thrilling semifinal performance in which the Tigers overcame a 16-0 first-half deficit to earn a 29-23 victory against No. 2 Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. The victory was Clemson's fifth-largest comeback in school history, the second-largest under Head Coach Dabo Swinney and its largest in postseason play.

Clemson is attempting to become the first team to win back-to-back national championships with a perfect record since 1994-95, when Nebraska won championships with records of 13-0 and 12-0 respectively. The only other schools to do so in the AP Poll era were Oklahoma (1955- 56), Army (1944-45) and Minnesota (1940-41).

The Tigers are also attempting to become the third team in the NCAA's list of consensus national champions since 1950 to win three national championships in four years, joining 2009-12 Alabama and 1994-97 Nebraska. Clemson would be the fourth team in the AP Poll era (since 1936) to do so, a list that also includes 1946-49 Notre Dame.

Spend this evening’s game with us in this thread! Brandon Stockdale will be holding down the fort along with the rest of the CST Staff.

FINAL: No. 1 LSU 42, No. 3 Clemson 25

9,381 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 1bstockdale
lwilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Go CU!!
1bstockdale
Staff
Good evening folks! We are just under 30 minutes from kickoff in New Orleans. Lawton and most of the staff are in New Orleans and I'm holding things here in the Palmetto State.

A quick note to pass along: Xavier Thomas is dressed but will not start and Nyles Pinckney will not dress tonight
DaveyD23
Hey guys! Go Tigers!
Lawton Swann
Staff
Lots of LSU fans in the house for this one....holy cow.

If you are Clemson graduate let me know we have "Grad Tags" for your profile.
Lawton Swann
Staff
Good luck Brandon....I can't hear myself think.
1bstockdale
Staff
Both offenses are trying to feel each other out. Clemson is winning the field position battle right now, though.

I'll do my best, Lawton.... have fun up top in the press box!
1bstockdale
Staff
Clemson strikes first in New Orleans.... a 42-yard pot pass from Lawrence to Braden Galloway jump started the drive and we even saw some Wildcat from Etienne.

Lawrence with the short touchdown on the zone-read... TD Tigers 7-0
1bstockdale
Staff
Travis Etienne is now Clemson's all time leading rusher. He only needed 7 coming into tonight. Has 10 yards so far.
1bstockdale
Staff
LSU responds with a 52-yard explosive TD play where J'Marr Chase beat A.J. Terrell. It's 7-7 in NOLA.
Lawton Swann
Staff
This place is as loud as any game I've ever attended.

Good first quarter by Clemson on defense outside of the one big play.

DaveyD23
Second quarter is our time to shine. Let's GO!!!!
1bstockdale
Staff
B.T. Potter knocks through a long 52-yard field goal to put Clemson back on top, 10-7 to kick things off in the second quarter. That's big for Potter's confidence as he's battled inconsistency this year.
1bstockdale
Staff
That was an impressive, quick drive from Clemson. A 30-yard run from Travis Etienne and then a reverse for Tee Higgins and it's 17-7 Clemson with 10:38 in the second quarter.
Lawton Swann
Staff
LSU answers with a quick drive. That touchdown run by Burrow was the first third-down conversion fro LSU tonight.

17-14 Clemson with 9:21 left in Q2.
1bstockdale
Staff
LSU has now taken the lead with another Burrow to Je'Marr Chase touchdown. 21-17 with 5:14 left before the half. LSU will get the ball to start the 2nd half.
Lawton Swann
Staff
Give LSU credit, Burrow hasn't looked confused all that often, if at all. Huge 3rd and 19 here.
1bstockdale
Staff
LSU's offense is cooking with hot grease right now ladies and gentleman. It was 17-7 Clemson to start the second quarter and now it's 28-17 LSU. 21 unanswered points by the Bayou Bengals.
Lawton Swann
Staff
After Clemson led 17-7, LSU ripped off scoring drives of 75, 87, and 95 yards just before the break, giving the Bayou Bengals a 28-17 lead at the half.

The 28 points scored are the most Clemson's yielded this season.
1bstockdale
Staff
Venables is going to have to find some way to slow down Chase in the second half.... he's got 6 catches for 162 yards and 2 touchdowns. A.J. Terrell is getting beat big time in coverage.
1bstockdale
Staff
Also, I thought one of the keys to the game was getting Travis Etienne going which would help Clemson control the clock. Right now, he's got 10 carries for 64 yards. You've got to get him more involved if you are Jeff Scott and Tony Elliott.
1bstockdale
Staff
That's exactly what the doctor ordered for Clemson coming out of the locker room: A stop on defense and a score from the offense. We've got a ball game again in New Orleans. 28-25 Clemson with 10:49 left 3rd quarter.
1bstockdale
Staff
Momentum is starting to shift back to the orange and purple. Clemson gets a stop and almost had a pick from Nolan Turner -- the Clemson fans in NOLA would've gone nuts but nonetheless, Clemson ball with a chance to take the lead down 3 with 9:12 left in the 3rd.
DaveyD23
Key to the game so far to me is 3rd down conversions. LSU is making them and Clemson isn't
1bstockdale
Staff
Tough sequence for Clemson: You give up a third and 11 on a screen to Chase, who is now being covered by Derion Kendrick, James Skalski gets ejected for targeting and then Thaddeus Moss scores a TD. LSU is up 35-25.
1bstockdale
Staff
Yup. Clemson is 1 of 8 while LSU is 4 of 10. Not good at all.
Lawton Swann
Staff
Clemson's offense needs a big answer here. Huge PI call spares Lawrence an interception. He grabbed Ross for sure. However, the Tigers are forced to punt again with 3:46 left in the third quarter.

LSU fans don't like the call, but to be honest, replay in the stadium didn't show the hold.
Lawton Swann
Staff
Clemson has been outscored 28-8 since taking a 17-7 lead.

Not good.
1bstockdale
Staff
Clemson catches a break as LSU misses the field goal. Offense has to take advantage down 10 as we are late in the third.
1bstockdale
Staff
The offense can't take advantage on that last drive and LSU has the ball driving as we head into the final quarter of the 2019 season. Can Clemson make a comeback in the fourth to make it 30 wins in a row? They're down 35-25.
1bstockdale
Staff
LSU throws a perfect inside fade in the bread basket and the Bayou Bengals are starting to pull away from the Tigers from the Upstate of South Carolina. 42-25 LSU with 12:08 left in the game.
1bstockdale
Staff
Clemson's quest for 30 straight wins comes up short in the Big Easy.

FINAL: LSU, 42, Clemson, 25

I want to personally thank all of you for following along with us all year. It's been a fun ride.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.