Story Poster
Clemson Football

FINAL: No. 1 Clemson 49, The Citadel 0

September 19, 2020

Feel the difference - The MOST DIGITAL CONTENT covering your CLEMSON TIGERS! Avoid clickbait and sites bloated with advertising! 

GAME DAY: No. 1 CLEMSON vs. THE CITADEL

Clemson: Roster | Depth Chart Schedule | Twitter
The Citadel: Roster | News |  Twitter | Game Notes

Game Week Articles

We will be chatting LIVE in this thread during today’s game. Come hang out with the Clemson Sports Talk staff.

Watch, Listen and Read

Game: 4 p.m., Memorial Stadium, Clemson, S.C.
TV: ACCN
Radio: Fox Sports Radio 1400
Game Week Coverage: Clemson vs. The Citadel Stories

AVAILABILITY REPORT: The following players on Clemson’s 120-man roster who are not expected to be available for today’s game include: DT Tyler Davis, DE Justin Foster, CB Mario Goodrich, WR Hamp Greene, S Jake Herbstreit, WR Tye Herbstreit, DT Ruke Orhorhoro, TE Luke Price, DE Klayton Randolph, WR Justyn Ross, WR Brannon Spector, QB James Talton, DE Xavier Thomas, OL Mason Trotter and CB LeAnthony Williams.

Game Week Must See

CLEMSON FOOTBALL & RECRUITING COVERAGE
Join today for just $1.00

The Storylines

Clemson’s 2020 home opener will look different than any other home opener in the history of Clemson football as only 19,000 fans will be allowed inside Death Valley due to restrictions in an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You can review all of the precautions the Clemson athletic department is taking here.

On the field, Clemson welcomes the Military College of South Carolina, The Citadel to Death Valley for the home opener. Dabo Swinney’s Tigers are riding a 22-game home winning streak with a record of 41-1 since 2014. Saturday afternoon’s contest marks 78 years to the date since the first football game inside Memorial Stadium, when Clemson hosted in-state FCS school, Presybterian College on Sept. 19, 1942. Clemson won 32-13.

Saturday’s contest could also be a record setting day for running back Travis Etienne. Etienne has scored a touchdown in 37 of his 44 career games, which is an ACC record. With a touchdown on Saturday, the senior from Jennings, La. would tie Florida’s Tim Tebow and Lousiana Tech’s Kenneth Dixon for the FBS record in that category.

Saturday also marks the home debut for nine players on the Clemson defense who made their first career start last week, most notable of those being freshman defensive end Myles Murphy and freshman defensive linemen Bryan Bresee. 

Spend this afternoon’s game with us in this thread with Brandon Stockdale and the rest of the CST Staff!

FINAL: No. 1 Clemson 49, The Citadel 0

10,440 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tigers Rise
1bstockdale
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Good afternoon guys! We are 45 minutes away from kickoff inside Death Valley. Hope everyone is doing well out there!
Lawton Swann
Staff
Boy, it's weird seeing an "empty" stadium this close to kickoff. It's going to be a strange season.
Lawton Swann
Staff
1bstockdale
Staff
We are all set for kickoff in Death Valley with 19,000 fans in attendance. It looks like Lawton is in Clemson and as for me, I am holding down the fort at home. Stay tuned for more updates.
Lawton Swann
Staff
I'm actually at home too, access is the same no matter where we are this year- so...I'll be home most weeks.
Lawton Swann
Staff
1bstockdale
Staff
That was a smooth opening drive for Clemson... just under 2 and a half minutes. Lawrence to Ladson for Clemson's first touchdown of the afternoon. 7-0 Tigers with 12:36 left in the opening quarter.
DaveyD23
Hey guys! What are y'all most interested to see today? Atmosphere? 1st string getting in rhythm? Watching second-third string get reps?
Lawton Swann
Staff
Lawton Swann
Staff
DaveyD23 said:

Hey guys! What are y'all most interested to see today? Atmosphere? 1st string getting in rhythm? Watching second-third string get reps?
For me, probably more from the backup QBs. I think that's the storyline until Clemson hits a real challenge.
1bstockdale
Staff
In a game like this where you're expected to win comfortably like this, I'm interested to see the backups/reserves get play time in the second half.

I think this is a game where you obviously want to get your starters playing time and get up big and then get the backups in, especially with a schedule like this one where you don't know who can play from week to week.
1bstockdale
Staff
Easy catch and run for the touchdown for Amari Rodgers, making up for the drop on the first drive. Clemson cruising early, 14-0.
Lawton Swann
Staff
Lawton Swann
Staff
1bstockdale said:

Easy catch and run for the touchdown for Amari Rodgers, making up for the drop on the first drive. Clemson cruising early, 14-0.
Cruising is right....my family is talking about Zaxby's for dinner already...LOL
1bstockdale
Staff
Baylon Spector was shaken up a little bit after that play. He is being taken to the injury tent by athletic trainer Danny Poole.
Lawton Swann
Staff
Lawton Swann
Staff
1bstockdale
Staff
The freshman Myles Murphy makes an impact with the forced fumble and it's James Skalski with the scoop and score for now. They are reviewing it, though
1bstockdale
Staff
TV announcers just said this has escalated quickly. And he's right. It's 28-0 and we haven't even gotten to the second quarter.

Running clock in the second half, anyone?
Jhonson24
wow
1bstockdale
Staff
D.J. U time folks....
1bstockdale
Staff
D.J. U scores his first career touchdown on the quarterback keeper aided by a huge punt return from Travis Etienne and it's 35-0 Clemson early in the second quarter.
Lawton Swann
Staff
Man, did you ever think a beatdown would be hard to watch?

Lawton Swann
Staff
Jhonson24 said:

wow
Crazy that they've already pulled Trevor.

6-7, 102 with 2 TDs, 0 Int, and a rushing TD...could have hammered his stats today, but they won't...wow is right.
DaveyD23
I believe Brent Venables describes this as assignment football. Paul Johnson's offenses provided plenty of experience over the years
1bstockdale
Staff
Frank Ladson sold the slant perfectly on the slant and go route. He's been impressive today. Clemson is up 42-0... it's the second quarter, guys. #RunningClock
Lawton Swann
Staff
Lawton Swann said:

Jhonson24 said:

wow
Crazy that they've already pulled Trevor.

6-7, 102 with 2 TDs, 0 Int, and a rushing TD...could have hammered his stats today, but they won't...wow is right.
Spoke too soon:

Lawton Swann
Staff
1bstockdale
Staff
Trenton Simpson gets the sack which ends another Citadel drive. Freshmen making plays all over the place on defense today -- offense will probably put up 50 before halftime.
Lawton Swann
Staff
Lawton Swann
Staff
1bstockdale said:

Trenton Simpson gets the sack which ends another Citadel drive. Freshmen making plays all over the place on defense today -- offense will probably put up 50 before halftime.
That was a THUD!
1bstockdale
Staff
Ha!
1bstockdale
Staff
D.J. U looking impressive with his second rushing touchdown of the afternoon. They're still keeping the starters on the OL which I agree with.
1bstockdale
Staff
Clemson has scored a touchdown on every offensive possession. I know it's The Citadel, but this is impressive.
Lawton Swann
Staff
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.