Story Poster
Photo by Ken Ruinard / staff via Imagn Content Services, LL
Clemson Football

FINAL: NC State 27, Clemson 21 (Double OT)

September 25, 2021

Feel the difference - The best user experience on mobile devices or personal computers. Avoid clickbait and sites bloated with advertising!  Join us today for just $1 or get a full year for $63.17.

Register for a FREE ACCOUNT today and you are entered to win a LIMITED EDITION Clemson football. ← Learn More

GAME DAY: No. 9 CLEMSON vs NC STATE

Clemson: Roster | Depth Chart Schedule | Twitter
NC State: Roster | News | Schedule |  Twitter 

Game Week Articles

We will be chatting LIVE in this thread during today’s game. Come hang out with the Clemson Sports Talk staff.

Watch, Listen and Read

Game: 3:30 p.m. Carter-Finley Stadium, Raleigh, NC
TV: ESPN
Game Week Coverage: Clemson vs. NC State Stories

Game Week Must See

CLEMSON FOOTBALL & RECRUITING COVERAGE
Join today for just $1.00

The Storylines

Clemson faces NC State in their first true road game of the 2021 season this afternoon from Carter-Finley Stadium. The Tigers and Wolfpack renew their rivalry after last year’s game was canceled due to scheduling changes because of COVID-19.

Clemson’s defense has yet to allow a touchdown during the 2021 season but that will be put to the test on Saturday. Clemson has gone three consecutive games without allowing an offensive touchdown since 1990. It marks the first time Clemson has accomplished the feat across the first three games of a season since 1950, when Clemson shut out Presbyterian, Missouri and NC State to open that campaign.

Spend this afternoon’s game with us in this thread!

FINAL: NC State 27, Clemson 21 (Double OT)

6,995 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Lawton Swann
1bstockdale
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Good afternoon everyone! Hope y'all are having a great Saturday as Clemson gets ready to kick things off in Raleigh against NC State.
1bstockdale
Staff
The game will start on ESPNNews and then switch to ESPN once the LSU game ends.
1bstockdale
Staff
Clemson is forced to punt on the first series. DJ tried to hit Shipley on the check down but the ball was thrown behind him.
Lawton Swann
Staff
1bstockdale
Staff
Trenton Simpson nearly had a pick-six on Clemson's first series of defense but NC ST will punt and the Tigers have the ball back. 10:44 and counting to play in the first. No score in Raleigh
Lawton Swann
Staff
1bstockdale
Staff
Oh my. Justyn Ross with the toe drag and keeps the foot in bounds. DJ did a great job of keeping his eyes downfield and fires a 32-yard touchdown. 7-0 Clemson with 9:11 to play in the first quarter
Lawton Swann
Staff
Lawton Swann
Staff
The offense looks prepared today. Several deep shots early-- this is what they needed to do last week.

Time for the defense to chip in with a big turnover and silence the Wolfpack fans. It's rocking.
BradyH
Early on in this game, DJ is starting to look like the DJ we saw last year. Settled in and confident. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.
1bstockdale
Staff
NC State doesn't get anything rolling on offense: Bryan Bresse with a QB pressure and the Tigers are flying around. Not sure what the plan was for the Pack on that series.
1bstockdale
Staff
I agree. That ball to Justyn on the touchdown was incredible. Let's see what they do here on the next series.
Lawton Swann
Staff
Big drive here for Clemson...if they look sharp on offense and get points the pressure on NCST will be significant given how well the defense has played.

If you are Clemson graduate let me know we have "Grad Tags" for your profile.
1bstockdale
Staff
NC State's Emeka Emezie scores on a 7-yard reception and that's the first touchdown that the Clemson defense has allowed all season. Emezie was effective in the quick passing game and finding the green grass during that series.

We are tied at 7 in Raleigh.
1bstockdale
Staff
END 1Q: Clemson and NC State tied at 7.
1bstockdale
Staff
DJ was fortunate he wasn't picked off there. He had the check down open but stared down the receiver to his left. Can't do that.
Lawton Swann
Staff
This Clemson team looks "human" at this point. Hard to believe how difficult things are this season on offense.
Lawton Swann
Staff

Great to see Xavier Thomas making plays this year. COVID season was a bear for him.
1bstockdale
Staff
Skalski appears to have been shaken up on that previous series. He had a towel on his head on the TV broadcast.

Meanwhile, Clemson's offense hasn't done anything since the touchdown drive. That's their 3rd 3-and-out in a row. State is tightening up the coverage and DJ is holding on to the ball too long. He needs to use his legs and get out of the pocket. The offense has gotten away from the run game with Shipley.
Lawton Swann
Staff
1bstockdale
Staff
NC State was moving the ball on Clemson and then decides to get cute with Devin Leary on the double pass. Leary fumbles and Clemson recovers.
1bstockdale
Staff
Drake Thomas for NC State comes up with the pick on the tip drill. Tough break for DJ and the Clemson offense. Still tied at 7 with 2:45 and counting before the half.
Lawton Swann
Staff
The offense is hard to watch. I still think you give Phommachanh a series. What's the worst that could happen at this point?
1bstockdale
Staff
I think you're right, Swanny. DJ is still off and is holding on to the ball too long.
BradyH
Agreed.

I say let DJ come out after the half with some adjustments. If nothing has improved, it's time to let Taisun have a shot.
1bstockdale
Staff
HALFTIME: Clemson and NC State are tied at 7.

87 yards of total offense for the Tigers at the half. 4 punts and an interception since the scoring drive on offense. Like Lawton said, I would think about giving Taisun Phommachanh a series here in the second half. You need a spark on offense. The defense can only hold up for so much longer.
1bstockdale
Staff
Both teams go three-and-out to begin the second half as the offensive struggles continue.
1bstockdale
Staff
NC State scores on the touchdown pass from Leary to Devin Carter. 14-7 Wolfpack with 5:10 to play in the third. Tigers are in serious trouble.
1bstockdale
Staff
END 3Q: NC State leads Clemson, 14-7. The defense can't hold up for the offense any longer.
Lawton Swann
Staff
Had to step away for a few....2:47 left 14-14. Clemson's offense has been awful outside of two drives.
BradyH
Tigers still have a chance to come away with a win.
Not sure how much more of this my nerves can handle.
BradyH
After that performance I do believe Elliot is on the hotseat in the minds of the fanbase. If Dabo doesn't address it, people are going to start coming after him next.

Fans were already unhappy.
Lawton Swann
Staff
Lawton Swann
Staff
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.