Story Poster
Photo by © Ray Carlin-USA TODAY Sports
Clemson Football Recruiting

Kirk Herbstreit's twin sons to walk-on at Clemson

November 18, 2018

Try PREMIUM for just $1

ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit’s twin sons Jake and Tye will be attending Clemson as preferred walk-on members of the Tiger football team. 

In an interview with Fox 17 in Nashville, Herbstreit mentioned his twin boys attending Clemson in 2019 along with his tremendous travel schedule to see them and his youngest son, Zak, who will still be in high school next year.

“I’ll have Zak playing at MBA as a junior, and Jake and Tye going over to Clemson. We’ll have to cross that bridge when we get to it. These are all really good problems to have,” Herbstreit told FOX 17 last Thursday. “My goal is to be there for anything I can be.”

Both Jake and Tye attended Dabo Swinney’s Camp this summer. Jake plays safety and Tye plays wide receiver for Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville.

The elder Herbstreit was a four-year letter winner as a quarterback at Ohio State from 1989 to 1993. Since 1996, Herbstreit has been best known for his work on ESPN’s College GameDay which airs Saturday mornings in the fall. Herbstreit joined the GameDay in 1996 and since that time, he and Lee Corso have become synonymous with college football.

We have reached out to ESPN and Kirk Herbstreit and hope to have an update on this story in the near future. 

Kirk Herbstreit's twin sons to walk-on at Clemson

35,334 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lawton Swann
Staff Reports
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What the what? Herbie sees the biggest and best programs in America on a regular basis....that's a big deal for the Tigers!
09Tiger
That's pretty awesome for the program. I thought it was neat that Mark Packer's daughters were at Clemson, but this is the icing on the cake. That seems huge to me. Am I wrong?
Tigers Rise
09Tiger said:

That seems huge to me. Am I wrong?
I agree with you. When I read it, I was like BOOM! Major news for the program.

CLEMSON.81.16.18
When gameday came to Clemson for the GT game. You could see Herbie fall in love with Clemson. The whole environment. Guess the love hasn't faded since
25-24-45-25
Please name for me another college coaching staff you would rather have helping you raise your sons.
Lawton Swann
Staff
It's certainly an interesting situation given his profile in college football and a huge story for Clemson's program.
CUTiger_82
Definitely not the first celebrities' children to attend Clemson, but to me this is HUGE and speaks volumes for Dabo and the Clemson football program. I am sure they probably could have gone elsewhere on scholarship but are coming to Clemson as walk ons. Clemson is a place walk ons have a real shot at playing and earning scholarships! Look forward to seeing what these kids do and to the press the program may get! Go Tigers!! Doing great things in Tigertown!!
Barnyard Bird
CUTiger_82 said:

Definitely not the first celebrities' children to attend Clemson, but to me this is HUGE and speaks volumes for Dabo and the Clemson football program.
Who are some others? I know Mark Packer...who else?
Lawton Swann
Staff
I think Bob Costas' son was a student at Clemson. Not sure of the others.
ShoelessCU
You are correct about Bob C's son and another I knew about was James Taylor's daughter (who was a cutie). She was a freshman the semester i graduated.
"The only disability in life is a bad attitude"

~ Scott Hamilton
Boozer
Doesn't Bill Murray's kid go to Clemson... May have graduated by now...
Lawton Swann
Staff
Forgot about that one Boozer!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.